Saturday, November 30, 2013

The world of Facebook

Facebook
I found the article, “In the World of Facebook” by Charles Petersen, really interesting because I never had a Facebook page before. That’s right, I admit, I never had a Facebook or Myspace in my life.  I think the reason, I never had one was because I don’t usually like taking pictures of myself and the thought of putting a bunch of pictures on the Internet does not appeal to me.  I have posted a picture of myself on my blog and Twitter page, but that’s about it.
I guess, I don’t want what happened to the young banking intern to happen to me.  Embarrassing pictures being discovered by co-workers is something, I don’t want to experience. I think that’s why the above quote fascinates me. The idea of privacy.  Do we, who live in the world of the Internet, understand what privacy is? That’s an interesting question because I’m not really sure we do. On, the one hand, we don’t always post pictures of ourselves, but on the other hand, we sometimes share thoughts that should probably stay in our heads.
Overall, I think the article does a nice job of detailing Facebook’s background and the issues that parents had with Myspace. I like this aspect because I had no real clue about Facebook or Myspace. The only things I knew came from the news or the film, “The Social Network”. In the end, Facebook may be an interesting social media site, but it’s not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment